2016 Travel Photo Contest
Enter GEO’s 2016 Travel Photo Contest! Our Contest is now closed – please check back for winners, or see them for yourself at a special, Marco Polo event!
GEO’s 2016 Travel Photo Contest, running November 15, 2016 – January 15, 2017, supports our mission “to promote the discovery and appreciation of the many wonders of our world.” GEO members and the public are invited to submit original photographs that reflect their world travels, anywhere, near or far. (GEO staff members and the photo contest judges are not eligible to enter the contest.)
See last year’s winners here!
Photo categories are:
- People – portraits, individuals, or groups in any setting, where the focus of the image is the people.
- Places – landscapes, cityscapes, architectural subjects, or other subjects where the focus of the image is the place.
- Perspectives – scenes containing any subject matter that captures the photographer’s view of world cultures as seen through his/her travels and camera lens.
First, second, and third place winners in each category will be selected by a panel of judges. All winners will be announced and honored at a special Marco Polo Networking event February, 2017, where they are invited to present their winning photos to the audience.
Prizes for each placement level (First, Second, and Third) in each category (People, Places, Perspectives) are:
- First Places: Admiral Peary membership in GSP; other prizes to be announced.
- Second Places: Heritage membership in GSP; other prizes to be announced.
- Third Places: General membership in GSP; other prizes to be announced.
All winners will also receive complimentary tickets to Marco Polo as guests of honor at the awards presentations February 15th, 2017.
You can view all of the contest photos on Flickr!
Entries must be submitted by email, using the subject line “Photo Contest” and with the entry form and .jpg photo files attached. The entry fee is $5 for up to four images entered in a single category. Entrants may submit multiple sets of four images in each of the three categories, using multiple entry forms.
- All entries must be in digital form, JPEG format.
- Photos can be submitted in any resolution, but for best representation, the image should fit into a 1024 x 768 pixel frame. The horizontal dimension should not exceed 1024 pixels and the vertical dimension should not exceed 768 pixels.
- Maximum file size is 1 MB.
- File names should be in the following format: photo category_photographer’s last name_first name_photo title. For example: People_Jones_Thomas_Tibetan monk.
Follow these steps to submit your entries:
- Click here to download the GEO Travel Photo Contest Entry Form.
- Save and complete the entry form.
- Prepare your image files for submission.
- Click here to send an email to the GEO Travel Photo Contest administrator. Enter “Photo Contest” as the subject line. Attach your entry form and image files to the email before sending it.
- Click here to pay the entry fee online via credit card.
Copyrights and Permissions
Copyright marks, water marks or any other legends such as maker’s name or image title on the photograph are not permitted. The Geographical Society of Philadelphia assumes no liability for any misuse of copyright.
By entering the contest, the photographers give the Geographical Society of Philadelphia permission to use their names and images in promotional materials, including on its website and social media sites.