Geographical Society of Philadelphia

Exploration Through Cultural Exchange

The mission of the Geographical Society of Philadelphia is to promote the discovery and appreciation of the many wonders of our world. The Society, since 1819 has been supporting world exploration by presenting enlightening programs on travel, geography, science, history, exploration, and world cultures to its members and the public in the Philadelphia area.

Early in 1891, the eminent Curator-in-charge at the Academy of Natural Sciences invited interested men and women to join him in forming the Geographical Club of Philadelphia. A year later, Professor Angelo Heilprin (1853-1907)‘s new science club had over a hundred members from many walks of life. (“Society” replaced “Club” in 1897). The Charter of April 1893 summed up ambitious goals: the advancement of the science of geography and of geographical studies and exploration; the recording of discoveries; and the presentation of researches.

READ MORE ABOUT OUR SPEAKERS 

LEARN ABOUT OUR FORMER HONOREES

THE BULLETIN NEWSLETTER
Enjoy our beautiful photos? Find out who took them here